Our Clients. Our typical client is a business owner, executive, professional, athlete, or trust fund beneficiary going through a divorce in Los Angeles or Ventura county. We also specialize in preparing premarital or prenuptial agreements, postmarital agreements, and cohabitation agreements for clients who want protection from California community property and spousal support laws.
Services. Family law is large practice area, which includes many sub-specialities. We are experts in the following areas:
- Valuation of a business for purposes of a California divorce.
- Apportioning community versus separate property interests in a business owned before marriage based on efforts by the business owner during marriage in a California divorce action.
- Determining income or cash flow available for purposes of spousal support or child support under California law.
- Characterizing assets or debts as community or separate property, including real estate, royalties, intellectual property, investments, and life insurance for purposes of divorce.
- Disputes concerning interspousal property transactions under California law.
- Negotiating and preparing California prenuptial or premarital agreements, postmarital agreements, and cohabitation agreements by our Los Angeles divorce attorney.
- Litigation concerning the meaning or enforceability of a California prenuptial or premarital agreement, postmarital agreement, and cohabitation agreement.
- The fiduciary duty between spouses under California law during marriage and after separation.
- The tax consequences of a divorce settlement, property agreement, or support agreement under California and federal tax laws.
- Interstate child support actions involving professional athletes and entertainers are handled by our Los Angeles divorce attorney.
- International child custody matters for the return of a child to either the United States or another country based on an alleged parental abduction.
- Trial consultation to other divorce lawyers when difficult questions of California family law arise.
- Expert witnesses as to the standard of care for California family lawyers.
Our Partners. We have four lawyers in our firm, all of whom practice only family law.
- Peter M. Walzer is the founder of the firm, with 29 years of experience as a Los Angeles divorce attorney. He has served as a leader in almost every family law organization. He is a Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
- Christopher C. Melcher is a partner in the firm. He has 16 years of trial experience as a Los Angeles divorce attorney. Before entering family law, he practiced criminal defense and civil litigation. He is Vice Chair of the State Bar of California Family Law Section. He is a regular speaker and author on divorce issues.
- Mr. Walzer and Mr. Melcher are Certified Family Law Specialists by the California State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization. Both of them also hold the rating of AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell.